Thursday, December 15, 2011

Harbour Bay, Batam

This is the first time that I am staying over at Batam, so I spent abit of time researching places to stay and where to find good food based on other's reviews and recommendations.



So after quite extensive research, I selected the Harbour Bay Amir Hotel, which is supposed to be decent and good value for money. I was not disappointed. I took the Wavemaster Ferry from Singapore's Harbourfront direct to Harbour Bay in Batam, a journey that took around 40 minutes. And I must say that the ferries were very on time. Upon arrival, I found that the hotel was located just outside of the ferry terminal. You can walk there in less than 5 minutes (just cross 2 roads and you are there).



It was a pleasant hotel, with a reasonably sized lobby and a huge cafe where breakfast is served daily from 6am to 9am. The staff were friendly and getting them to call me a taxi was a breeze. The room they gave me was on the 8th storey with a sea view. I could actually see Singapore in the distance (can even identify the 3 towers of MBS). The superior room is quite big and the king-sized bed was really king size. Only complaint that I have is that the attached bathroom is rather small and the toiletries provided could have been better.




Having paid a promotional price of only SGD35 for each room night, it was a real bargain. The stay comes with daily breakfast for 2, free wired broadband internet access, cable TV and mineral water. Although breakfast was nothing special, but it was adequate with toast and pineapple jam, hot coffee/tea, cereals with milk, chicken porridge, fresh fruits, keropok, and hot dishes like fried noodles/rice, omelettes etc. And the best thing about it, is that the Harbour Bay Mall is just next to the hotel. Quite a few eateries there for a quick meal or just relax over coffee. There is even a Carrefour supermarket and the Wavemaster Ferry check-in counter within the mall. So convenient.



Also near the area is the Seafood Centre which is just next to the Ferry Terminal. Here you can find several restaurants serving all kinds of seafood, which is quite popular with the locals as well as tourists. You can choose to sit by the seaside which is open air and enjoy the gentle sea breeze while having pepper crab, steamed prawns, curry fish head and otak-otak. Quite enjoyable.




Around the same area, about a 10 to 15 minutes slow walk down the road, you will find the Jodoh Pasar centred around the Johoh Centre. This area comes alive at night where you can find lots of street hawkers and a night market selling all kinds of stuff from clothes to shoes to toys and fashion accessories. Definitely a happening place, although a friend of mine told me to be extra careful as there had been many snatch theft cases there. So do keep your valuables at the hotel before you visit Jodoh Pasar.




  


Unfortunately I had a very filling seafood dinner before I found Jodoh Pasar. Otherwise I would have surely tried all the interesting local fare there. But in the end, I could not resist the durian. I had to have my durian fix even though I was rather full still. The kampong durian was not bad at all.
   

No comments: