Friday, January 13, 2012

A Couple of My Favourite Places to Visit in Hong Kong

In this post, I will share with you 2 of my favourite places in Hong Kong.

If you go to Tsim Sha Tsui East, Mody Road (麼地道) next to Inter-Continental Grand Hotel, you can find the new bus terminus for Bus 973 which will take you directly to Stanley Market. It goes through the Kowloon West undersea tunnel and along the coastal road through Pok Fu Lam, Aberdeen and Repulse Bay. The view along the bus route is quite breathtaking. If you can do sit on the front upper level of the bus.

Stanley (赤柱) has developed over the years into a truly tourism destination, with cafes and pubs and restaurants. When I first visited it in 1986, it was still just a flea market. I actually liked the atmosphere in the old days better. However, we cannot stop progress and have to learn to live with it.






After having breakfast at a cafe facing the bay, we proceeded to the market for some shopping.  I like shopping here because the jeans and t-shirts are very reasonably priced, and they have large sizes that suit me well.


Then we walked along the beach, and visited the old Stanley Village and the newly built stalls along the waterfront.








After all the walking and shopping, I would recommend having a meal at the Stanley Resturant (赤柱餐廳) which is hidden in a narrow street half way between the beach and the bus terminus. This restaurant has been here for as long as I can remember and the food is good and inexpensive. I strongly recommend the sweet & sour fish slices. Just excellent.







There is so much to do and see, you could spend an entire day at Stanley.

Another place that one day is almost not enough is the Hong Kong Disneyland. This was my first visit, and I was quite impressed. I have been to the original Disneyland in Anaheim and also to Tokyo Disneyland a couple of times before. Although the Hong Kong edition is not as big, it still gave me alot of fun.


The excitement starts when you board the Disney Express Train at Sunny Bay. I had a great time there and we stayed till closing after the fireworks at 9pm.











Adventure Land.



Tarzan's Tree House.




Jungle River Cruise.


Tiki Liki.



Toy StoryLand.



Toy Soldier Parachute Drop.



There were 2 parades during the day. This was the Flights of Fantasy Parade at 3:30pm.












It's A Small World.



Cinderella's Carousel.


Fantasy Land.




Then there is the special Disney's Sparkling Christmas: Santa Mickey's Toys Street Party parade along the Main Street USA at 5:30pm.







Tomorrow Land.


And it even had snow on Main Street in the evening.


Here is the special "Disney In The Stars" Fireworks display every night at 9pm above the Sleeping Beauty Castle.


What a wonderful day we had at Disneyland.
 

No comments: