Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Puncak, Indonesia


It is about a two-and-a-half hour's journey driving from central Jakarta to Puncak, up in the mountains in the Bogor-Cianjur region in West Java. Expect it to be longer if it's on a weekend, when traffic can be very heavy on the narrow road.



Arriving at the Kota Bunga resort in Cipanas, I was pleasantly surprised. It is a beautiful place, with bungalows and chalets featuring architecture from different parts of the world. But because it was Ramadan, the place was almost deserted.




Club Bali Suites is a resort and spa deep inside Kota Bunga, on top of a rise in the area. It is a really very lovely hotel with a garden setting, with rooms surrounding the swimming pool. Nice quiet getaway from all the hustle and bustle of the city.







My room was adequately furnished and very comfortable, it even had a little pantry area where you can cook. The is a stove, a refrigerator and even a water cooler. The view was beautiful, looking out over the valley, and facing the morning rising sun. What a beautiful dawn, watching the sunrise right from the balcony outside my room.





















The spa was also good, giving a 50% discount for hotel guests. My first time going for a massage at the spa. It was a wonderful experience, so comfortable and relaxing.




One disadvantage in Kota Bunga is that there is no restaurant or food available. However, you can book a motorcycle or a car to bring you out to find food. And one of the best restaurants in the mountains is Rindu Alam. It is a must try. There are 2 branches, but I would recommend the one along the road up to the resort.



The restaurant is overlooking the deep valley and perched on a cliff. Excellent view even at night. The food is very good as well and very reasonably priced.









As for places to visit in the highlands, my newfound friend Fahmi recommended that I go to the waterfalls, or Air Tejun as they called it. It was a 10 minute drive from the resort, but what they did not tell me was, to reach the waterfalls, it was a 2-hour trek up the mountain along a rocky path. I was glad I went there in the morning, when the sun was not so hot. Do bring lots of water with you, as I lost almost 2 kg at the end of the  trek.














And it was all worth it, because the view from up in the mountains was amazing. Although the waterfall is not a huge one, it was still a great feeling to be so closed to the thunderous rushing water. The cold sprays from the waterfall was also very refreshing. Absolutely no regrets climbing for 2 hours.










Coming down from the waterfall, which took much less time than climbing up, there is a row of stalls along the road that sells souvenirs and fried tapioca/yam crackers.



Riding out to eat, another place recommended is Sate Shinta, near the Cipanas market. They serve chicken, mutton and beef sate and other cooked food. However, I am not a big fan of Indonesian sate, so I found the food there edible at best.








When in Puncak, you must visit the fresh vegetable markets. The green vegetables are so succulent and fresh, quite irresistable. Even the fruits like pineapples, soursops and bananas look so inviting. And I could not help but to buy the delicious avocados. They are so inexpensive, that I am limited only by the weight I can carry back on the plane.






All in all, it was a wonderful couple of days in Puncak, and I am very glad that I made the trip there. I strongly recommend it to anyone who wishes to get away from the rat race and recharge. I will definitely return for another visit.
   

No comments: