Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Simala


After visiting most of the places of interest in Mandaue and Cebu City, my friends decided to bring me South to Simala. They told me it is very beautiful there and I must go and see it for myself. So we went to the Cebu South Bus Terminal and took a 2-hour bus ride to the municipality of Sibonga.



Along the way, we passed several towns and the city of Carcar. When we arrived, we took a tricycle up the hill to our destination.




I was not really prepared for what greeted me once I walked through the gates. It was truly breathtaking. What a magnificient monastery built into the side of a hill. This place is known for the miraculous Virgin Mary and is very popular among believers.



















I sat in on one of the services conducted by two nuns. Although I did not understand what they were saying and praying about, but what amazed me was when they started to sing, even the dogs and animals outside joined it, howling and birds were flying freely within the sacred altar. A truly amazing experience.
   

No comments: