Wednesday, April 6, 2011

KL Bak Kut Teh and Rat Noodle

Speaking of food in Kuala Lumpur, here are two restaurants I wish to highlight. One is a long time favourite of mine, and the other is newly recommended to me.


One of my personal favourite places to eat the KL Bak Kut Teh is at Imbi. More than 20 years ago, friends brought me to this restaurant to eat their claypot bak kut teh, and I have fallen in love with it ever since. Almost on every trip to KL, I would go there to eat. The reataurant is open almost round the clock, so you can have it for breakfast, lunch, dinner or supper.



I remember bringing many friends there too. Once in 2003, when I brought a group of journalists and media people to attend the Jacky Cheung concert at Bukit Jalil Stadium, we went for our Bak Kut Teh after the concert. Everyone enjoyed it so much.


This other restaurant called Seng Kee can be found in KL Chinatown, along Jalan Sultan which is the street just beside Jalan Petaling. You cannot miss it. They are famous for their "rat noodle" (老鼠粉). The noodle is more commonly known as "silver needle noodle" (银针粉) in Hong Kong and Taiwan, and is named as such because the shape of the noodles is long and tapered much like a rat's tail or a needle.


They prepare the rat noodles in many different ways, but being my first time there, I tried the claypot version. It is quite delicious and the texture of the noodle was soft and smooth. I wish I had gone there with more friends, so we could try more of their dishes. On my next visit to KL, I will definitely return and savour their other specials. Even late at night, I was there around 10pm, the restaurant was still crowded.

Hope you will enjoy the food as much as I do.


No comments: