Thursday, April 28, 2011

Some old favourites

I still remember those good ol' days when the Big Mac was not in town yet, and we happily visited A&W Restaurants regularly on Tuesdays because it was Coney Dog Day. The had a drive-in A&W at Upper Thomson Road, and one A&W along Dunearn Road that was perched above the canal just outside the Bukit Timah campus of the University. Those were the days.



I still love the Coney Dog and every opportunity I get to be in Kuala Lumpur, I will go visit the Bukit Bintang A&W restaurant situated diagonally across from Lot10 to get my fix. Of course must also have the fabulous A&W rootbeer float. Recently, they had a promotion offering xxtra long Coney Dog. The price was attractive, but it was served in a paper box which made it extremely difficult to eat from. I suggest they reconsider the packaging.



The last time I visited Charn Kee, I had their fantastic nonya curry noodles. So this time round, I went back with a friend to try some of their other dishes.


 


My friend had the minced pork noodles which were quite good. Quite unlike the ones we have in Singapore, the minced pork came with a dark sauce similar to "zha jiang mian" but not so overpowering. I had the claypot seafood noodles. Although it was tasty with clear soup, I found it alittle common. Tastes almost like any prawn noodle soup.

But what really deserves mention is their dumpling and meat balls. Just simply irresistable and you certainly will be back for more.

No comments: