Sunday, April 17, 2011

The Sweet Things in Life

Just returned from another fruitful trip to Kuala Lumpur, and I don't just mean food wise.

Since things are going well, I thought it would be quite appropriate to share with you some of the sweet things in life - viz. desserts. I simply love sweets and I cannot live without them. Here are a few that I discovered during my trips to KL.


This is the UFO device that they will give you when you order at SnowFlake, a very popular dessert kiosk at the KL Pavilion. When your order is ready for collection, the UFO will start to beep with flashing lights - like this:






SnowFlake, a Taiwanese import, serves cooling grass jelly-flavoured ice topped with taro balls. They also serve soya beancurd, pearl milk tea and barley desserts. But the Grass Jelly with iced grass jelly topped with yam and sweet potato taro balls and a sprinkling of milk cream is simply fabulous. You must try it!




Another very interesting dessert can be found inside the Parkson department store at the KL Pavilion. On level 4, hidden in one corner of the ladies section, you can find the Zang Toi Cafe (or West 57th Street Cafe). They serve their signature Banana Chocolate Cake, simply sinful. Another must try when you are there.


If you are more health conscious, then I would recommend the Herbal Grass Jelly. The Koong Woh Tong outlets are located everywhere within Kuala Lumpur. I like the one at Times Square. Their herbal jelly or gwei ling go is not too bitter and the honey syrup is not too sweet. It is smooth and melts in the mouth, giving a very pleasant after taste.





Also try their "Five Flower Herbal Tea", to reduce heatiness and cools the body in addition to quenching your thirst.


Another of my favourite dessert shop can be found at the corner of Jalan Sultan and Jalan Petaling. It is called the Washington Cake House. 

My favourites are the walnut cornflakes cookies and the spongerusks (like toasted sponge cake slices). They also sell other homemade cakes and pastries. However, the spongerusks is something you cannot find elsewhere. They are crunchy and is a great snack throughout the day.



And finally, how can you leave KL without having some King of Fruits, the kampong version. Recently, I have the good fortune of feasting on my favourite fruit, during a thunderstorm in the Jalan Alor area. I was huddled under a makeshift shelter, and while the rain drops fall relentlessly, I was enjoying my finger-licking good Pahang D24 durians.




How can you beat that?

No comments: